Saturday, March 18, 2006

Recommended Reading

I'm still on my Tom Robbins jag. Currently I'm reading Still Life with Woodpecker, or something like that. It's OK. It's definitely better than Another Roadside Attraction. My favorite Robbins is still Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climes. That's one great book.

Students often ask me what books I would recommend reading. So offered here is a list of what I consider must reads for any educated human on the planet. This list is by no means complete, and I welcome suggestions. The only catch for my list is that I've actually read them.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
Mysterious Stranger (Mark Twain)
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Alexander Solzenitzen)
Cancer Ward (Alexander Solzenitzen)
The First Circle (Alexander Solzenitzen)
Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
Breakfast of Champions (Kurt Vonnegut)
Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut)
Galapagos (Kurt Vonnegut)
Malcolm X (Alex Haley)
Che Geuvara (John Lee Anderson)
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Dee Brown)
1984 (George Orwell)
Brave New World (Alodius Huxley)
On the Beach (Nevil Shute)
Childhood's End (Aurthur C. Clark)
Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)
Dandelion Wine (Ray Bradbury)
Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)
Hamlet, King Leer, & Macbeth (Shakespeare)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey)
Oedipus (Sophecles)

That's good for a start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home